Cinema Style Lenses: How they make an Audience Feel
INCLUDED IN THIS LESSON: 2 Minutes of Video
IN THIS LESSON YOU WILL LEARN: Audiences might not know the lenses or focal lengths picked when watching a movie, but they will know how it feels and interprets the image. Since the dawn of photography itself, lenses have been the voyeuristic tool to help craft the emotion for the audience. Each lens carries its own characteristics and style that will manipulate the image differently. In this lesson, Shane Hurlbut, ASC discuss his approach to lens selection and what he’s learn over the last 30+ years of filmmaking.
- Understanding the different type of cinema glass out there.
- The types of characteristics and styles that lenses can evoke.
- How to evoke different emotions through different lenses.
- Crafting a certain tonality through the characteristics embedded in the glass.
- Understanding the importance of focal length and what that does to the story.
- Understanding the importance of color space and how you need to keep that in consideration.