04 Cinematography: Day Interiors Vol II: Setting your Lights

INCLUDED IN THIS LESSON: 8 minutes of instructional video from On Set with Shane Hurlbut ASC. Detailed written breakdowns, Top Down Lighting & Blocking Schematics, Lighting Lists templates, Camera Lists templates and Side by Side Comparisons.

IN THIS LESSON YOU WILL LEARN: How to set your lights in a very small space. How to bring more light into a confined set. How to be compact and set yourself up for success on tight sets.  How to control the light to keep contrast and deliver a more cinematic image.  English Subtitles Included

idebasish 1 days ago

I would love to know how did you place the M40s into 12×12 and 8×8 and why did you choose fresnel over par for the shaft of light ?

• VIEW ALL 1 REPLIES
    • Shane Hurlbut, ASC    Today

@idebasish Hi Idebasish, The M40's were at about 4 feet high bouncing into the 12 x 12 and 8 x 8, this gave me that soft North Light feel then the Fresnel was used over the par because Fresnel lenses create much sharper shafts, the par doesn/t project one value of light, it has some come directly from the bulb and then some that bounces off the reflector from the back and then another volume of light that reflects off of the sides.

• cancel

Amoviel 18 days ago

Hey Shane! Do you have any recommendations for a powerful yet affordable LED light? Something like the Lumierre you show but even more affordable? Also, do you have a link to where we also can use that “NL COOL” LUT you use, or any other ones you recommend? Thank you for all these amazing classes!

• VIEW ALL 1 REPLIES
    • Shane Hurlbut, ASC    18 days ago

@Amoviel HI Amoviel, I think the new ROTO Light Panel as well as the Aputure that is coming out soon would be a good cost effective light. Please reach out to me on the map and connect with me and I will send you the LUT

• cancel

LT0513 12 days ago

hello Hurlbut ! I love the content and I have a quick question that you are using the honey cones for the LED lights. I recently start to notice the Honey Crates and I do not know if you ever tried their products? Also, what the difference between different degrees honey cones? Thank you so much !

• VIEW ALL 1 REPLIES
    • Shane Hurlbut, ASC    18 days ago

@LT0513 HI LT0513, The honeycombs are amazing to control your light. Everyone is in degrees of spread, so a 90 degree takes the sky panel which is about a 130 degree beam and harnesses it to a 90 degree beam, then the 60 would be a 60 degree beam and the 30 and 30 degree beam, the smaller the number the tighter the focus.

• cancel