05 Cinematography: Day Interiors Vol II: Perfecting Room Tone

INCLUDED IN THIS LESSON: 11 minutes of instructional video from On Set with Shane Hurlbut ASC. Detailed written breakdowns, Top Down Lighting & Blocking Schematics, Lighting Lists templates, Camera Lists templates and Side by Side Comparisons.

IN THIS LESSON YOU WILL LEARN: How Panavision Primos and Zeiss Super Speeds compare. How to easily bring down spill from lights. How to hone and perfect room tone. How to manicure and shape light with curtains.  English Subtitles Included

We are directing all comments and questions to our New Forum, please find the related course in the forum’s categories to submit.

cinarunal 19 days ago

Hi Shane, I wonder what is the reason you used ND9, for using open wide aperture: T2? And Is there any specific reason you put your Kelvin on 6000K or tried and find it best for the ambient at that time? Lastly (promise last one:) about Lut, in your real project also do you use custom live Lut and use it on grading as your starting point for grading? And do you do exposure, grading test, I hope I expressed well, in pre production. What I mean that are you shooting test shots with the lut and grade for seeing how it works with the camera? Best:)

• VIEW ALL 4 REPLIES
    • Shane Hurlbut, ASC    15 days ago

@cinarunal HI Cinarunal, I love shooting at a 2.0 for most wide shots and med shots, then I pull 2 stops of ND to shoot the close ups to give the focus puller a fighting chance as well as a 4.0 on a close up is nice because the DOF keeps the eyes, ears and nose in focus. Which I feel is appealing. The 6000K color temp on the camera was to warm up the HMI's coming thru the windows a little more. Yes, I build and test my LUT's before every film and design LUT's for every film specifically. When I do my camera tests to build the LUT's I then look at that footage to make sure it all looks good. I do not live grade on set, waste of time and shows that you did not prepare as a DP. I build 16 to 40 LUT's per films, for all different lighting scenarios. I want to be put into a creative box with the LUTS in pre production because this is when you have the time to plan and design, if you are spinning wheels on the shoot you have not prepared.

• cinarunal    2 days ago

@cinarunal Shane thank you very much for your reply, it is very generous that you are sharing your knowledge. Last question; you said you are creating 16-40 Luts but do you use only few of them or just one of them? And do you suggest these Luts to director for getting for final suggestion. Sorry if it seems too basic question as I am trying to get familiar with using of luts on set:) Best.

• Shane Hurlbut, ASC    Today

@cinarunal Hi Cinarunal, you are very welcome, some directors are more visually engaged and when they show this, I like to involve them fully in this process, there are others that hired me to create the visual landscape and they are more focused on the acting and character developments. I have a show LUT which is the LUT that makes it look balanced. Then a CDL which is a color look LUT that is added on top of this. There is a great free webinar that we did that deals with all of this. https://www.hurlbutacademy.com/protecting-your-image/?mc_cid=cc106950ed&mc_eid=3780d1148d

• cinarunal    Today

@cinarunal Thank you very much Shane, that is webinar what I need!