08 Cinematography: Day Interiors Vol II: Lensing The Close up

INCLUDED IN THIS LESSON: 11 minutes of instructional video from On Set with Shane Hurlbut ASC. Detailed written breakdowns, Top Down Lighting & Blocking Schematics, Lighting Lists templates, Camera Lists templates and Side by Side Comparisons.

IN THIS LESSON YOU WILL LEARN: How to generate great emotion in characters. How shape and position soft toplight. How to shoot the close up effectively and what you can cheat and alter to push the characters emotion higher.  English Subtitles Included.

We are directing all comments and questions to our New Forum, please find the related course in the forum’s categories to submit.

Shen 25 days ago

I’m not satisfied with the final outcome of this recreate scene. All the procedures during the recreation are helpful. But when it comes to the result, it’s obvious that it didn’t match the still very well. The contrast ration on their face in the CU shot is much bigger than the still, less details were seen on actor’s face. The tungsten fill light is much more directional than the still. Despite all the useful talking in the class, the result are very similar to class i had in my undergraduation year.

• VIEW ALL 2 REPLIES
    • Shane Hurlbut, ASC    25 days ago

@Shen Hi Shen, this is to spark your creativity and find your voice. I lay the frame work, matching things that were shot in a very different location, with different colored walls, etc. always makes it challenging.

• Shen    23 days ago

@Shen Hi Shane, I have done several recreation like this several times before. What I found out was that it isn't very hard to emulate the key light in the wide shot, instead trying to achieve a natural and beautiful fill light especially when it comes to CU is much more challenging to me. And I wonder how do you approach to fill lights and make them not so directional( no obvious shadow on face)?