Fill Light: The Basics
INCLUDED IN THIS LESSON: 4 Minutes of Video, In-Depth Written Breakdown
IN THIS LESSON YOU WILL LEARN: When lighting a scene, understanding where your fill is coming from and how it will illustrate the world is crucial. In this lesson, Shane Hurlbut, ASC discusses his thought process on fill and how he implemented these techniques on the Bill Paxton directed feature film, “The Greatest Game Ever Played.” This lesson is a firsthand look on being creative on a major motion picture and how your fill is as crucial as you key.
- Firsthand look into “The Greatest Game Ever Played.”
- Understanding the importance of fill in your lighting setup.
- How to craft portrait-esque looks to really sell your imagery.
- The purpose of catching some eye light.
- The basics of what fill does to a shot.
- The different emotions that fill light can evoke out of the character.
- The theory behind fill.