05 How to Shoot Car Commercials at Night: Acura

INCLUDED IN THIS LESSON:  16:40 Minutes of Instructional Video, In-Depth Written Breakdown, Behind-the-Scene Stills, Equipment Breakdown List, Storyboards and Shot Breakdowns-SUPPLIED W/ENGLISH SUBTITLES 

IN THIS LESSON YOU WILL LEARN:  Lighting cars at night.  What is my recipe, what is my first choice in camera cars, what other motion devices will I use, how will I pull this off all in one night and how do I prep for the impossible?  These questions will all be answered along with others.  This is a MASTERCLASS in Commercial Car Prep and Execution.  Grab it!!!

• What lenses to use when shooting cars
  • How to light at night for traveling shots
  • What motion tools are best for capturing your driving footage
  • What angles show the car off the best
  • What is a Belt Line
  • What different ways can you light a car
  • Pitfalls not to fall into when shooting cars

REVIEWS:

<<<Brent W>>> Love this Lesson! The breakdown was great and scheduling tips were invaluable. Thanks for the time put into making this. Would love to see more in this format.
<<<Joao>>> Hello Shane,  This is the kind of Lesson that make me stay in the Hurlbut Academy.  Thank you
<<<Drazen S>>> Excellent…the tips and the breakdown are on point. Looking very much forward to the next chapters…thanks Shane.
<<<Chad G>>> Incredible work yet again! Thanks so much for sharing. Perfect breakdown.
<<<Jeremy W>>> Amazing! This is awesome to see behind the scenes and learn what the challenges were and how you overcame them.
<<<Dahlia>>> Fantastic breakdown Shane!
<<<Bevan C>>> This is really great! Thanks for this breakdown.
<<<William C>>> Hi Shane, thank you for your wonderful insight to your work!

David Verwey 5 days ago

Hi Shane, how did you schedule these shots? Did you do the whole run with each setup? LIke first the whole run with the drones and static wides. The the hard rigs inside and out side the car and then the russian arm? Planning this step by step seems to be the hardest part to make this work for the client!

• VIEW ALL 1 REPLIES
    • Shane Hurlbut, ASC    4 days ago

@David Verwey Hi David, We had two vehicles, which is essential for this style. So we had all the hard rigs on one car and then we had a car that had nothing rigged to it. Now the car that did not have anything rigged to it also had embedded cameras so when he was driving into the parking garage we were getting many shots at the same time. In the written materials you can see how I break it all up and schedule it. Yes scheduling is very important to be the most efficient. This is where the AD comes in and you working with them. Hard rigs take the most time to rig, but they are quick to pull off, so I always start there.

• cancel

Diogo 15 days ago

Hey Shane, how do you setup the Kino Flo lamp cables in order to work out of the fixture?

• VIEW ALL 1 REPLIES
    • Shane Hurlbut, ASC    5 days ago

@Diogo Hi Diogo, When you take the 8' tubes out of the fixture you also take out the Harness which as the zip cord that unifies the connectors and then you hook that up as a bare tube. The I taped the cable on the back side of the Flo's so you did not see the cable and it looking messy

• cancel

davidsuddaby 18 days ago

Excellent. I’m looking for more techniques to light car in studio environment.