SIC Podcast Ep.5
- June 18, 2018
- Shane Hurlbut, ASC
SIC Podcast Ep.5 is now available on iTunes!
In this podcast, we take the time to explain “why” the director and director of photography relationship is so important. A lot of being on set is about communication and understanding the director’s vision for the project. Pre-production is the window for cultivating ideas and figuring out exactly how things are going to come together. Remember, that you want your relationship to be strong from the start!
(Shane Hurlbut and Gabriele Muccino on the set of “A Casa Tutti Bene”.)
Some of the questions we’ll be answering are:
- How to establish a healthy director-dp relationship.
- Understanding the director’s vision and how to cultivate your ideas into the production.
- How to establish and maintain a certain look for the production.
- Understanding how valuable pre-production is and taking the time to plan everything out with your collaborators.
- The steps to creating the shots and establishing your game plan for the production.
- How to be detail-oriented when the clock is ticking.
- How to stay organized with multiple projects in the works.
- The steps to networking and getting in front of directors you’d like to work with.
As a director of photography, it’s important to always be cultivating new relationships and getting yourself in front of future collaborators. These are the people that are going to want you back on more productions and will help bring you up through the ranks. Always remember that it’s going to be an uphill battle at times, but it will come together. Perseverance is key when you’re first starting out, so don’t give up!
If you have questions, head over to the Shane’s Inner Circle and submit them today. To do so, you’ll need to be a member of our online community. So join up if you haven’t already!